Skip to main content

Attending Court in Jamaica








  1. Dress appropriately! No shorts, t-shirts, no sleeveless, avoid wearing t-shirts bearing obscene graphics, no flip flops, no caps. Rastafarians and other religious groups that cover their heads as a part of their religious rites are allowed to wear their head dress. Unless you are wearing a bush jacket men are required to tuck their shirts into their waistbands. No setters. No breasts and brassieres exposed. No boxer shorts exposed.


  2. Depending on the judge men with pierced ears might be required to remove them before addressing the court.


  3. Answer the judge respectfully. Despite the popular belief of many a Jamaican, referring to females you have no relation with by terms of endearment such as "baby, mummy, auntie, sweetheart, darling, honey" is impolite. Never ever refer to a female judge or Clerk of the Court as such.  In like manner you do not refer to a male judge as "breddrin, father, my youth." "Yu see me?" is also inappropriate.


  4. The Clerk is to be addressed as "Madam Clerk" or "Miss So and So".


  5. The judge is referred to as your Honour if the judge is a Judge of the Parish Court and My Lord or My Lady if the judge is a Judge of the Supreme Court.


  6. There is to be no chewing of gum or eating in court.


  7. Turn your cellphone off before entering the court room.


  8. Do not speak out of turn. Allow the person who is speaking to complete their statements before interjecting.


  9. NEVER ever interrupt a judge when he or she is speaking.


  10. Sucking ones teeth publicly is still considered bad manners.






SaveSave

Comments

  1. You mean to say in this day and age, there are judges who ask men to remove their earrings? How utterly ridiculous!!


    Hilaire

    ReplyDelete
  2. On other thing, I think part of the problem of lack of information on the part of Jamaicans is that courts rarely if ever have any signs posted indicating or explaining court protocol. I remember testifying in a California Superior Court (as expert witness) in 1999, and I do recall seeing signs/information posted in simple language. This was certainly helpful for me, despite being a lawyer. Certainly there are rudimentary elements of court protocol that are common to courts regardless of jurisdiction, but as a non-US lawyer, the info was useful.

    I think the time has come for courts to reinvent themselves - from being judge/official centred to people-centred. The current paradigm contributes significantly
    to people being not only uninformed, but alienated from court proceedings. Certainly, having signs that explain court protocol would be a step in the right direction. Insisting that police on duty at courts treat people with respect and not shout at them or demean them would be another.

    Hilaire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For Doctors: Testifying in Court & Preparing Medical Reports for the Court

It has become apparent to prosecutors that most doctors in Jamaica are, like the average Jamaican citizen, are either fearful of testifying in the criminal courts or reluctant to attend court. While some of your colleagues simply tell us, “I have more important things to do!” Which you may agree is unfortunate. The truth is participation in the justice system affects all our lives. No-one living in Jamaica is immune from crime. A doctor can be robbed, raped, killed or injured in a motor vehicle accident; shot, chopped and all these experiences involve the court. I hope to alleviate the fears some of you may entertain and assure you that as prosecutors we are aware of the importance of the service you offer to the nation and we do respect your time. I will go through our expectations of you from the examination of the victim to testifying in court. TESTIFYING IN COURT WHAT DO WE DO TO ACCOMMODATE YOU? Admittedly, doctors are the only witnesses every court across the island gives

How I Organise My General Legal Council Stuff

There was a time in my life when I did not have to concern myself with anything GLC related.  Then I left government service to be in-house counsel and that changed.  Months after I resigned from my that job I forgot to pay my Practising Certificate fees and I had to pay the penalty. I am generally an organised person so I was … No strike that I still AM , quite pissed at myself for not realizing and having to pay double when I wasn’t even practising law.   [I only keep current … just in case I need to do something in the capacity of a Lawyer.]   I could not believe I missed that!   My only revenge was to organise my business so it would never happen again. The first thing I did was go through all the legislation related to the profession and created reminders on my computer.   Then I created a folder on my computer that I labelled “General Legal Council”.   In that folder I created sub-folders for: 1.     GLC - Annual Declaration of Activities – Money Laundering